In February 2012, Southern Heights Elementary parents voted to adopt a uniform dress code policy to be implemented in the 2012-13 school year. Uniforms are an equalizer; research has shown that both attitudes and behavior improve significantly when uniforms are worn. In wearing our school uniform, it stops brand name competition and helps students focus on the business of learning. Our ultimate goal is to develop “universal students” who can excel in any academic arena. We want to instill pride in our students; pride in themselves, their school, and community. One way we show our pride here at Southern Heights is by having our students wear a uniform – our uniform shows the world the unity we share at Southern Heights. Not only do our uniforms look sharp, our students will be dressed to achieve; dressing in uniform shows the community we know we are on the road to success.
Remember! All students at Southern Heights are required to wear their uniforms Monday through Friday from 9:10 a.m. to 3:40 p.m. Only the articles listed can be worn as the Southern Heights Uniform.
Clothing may not be tight, oversized, or revealing. Clothing must be neat in appearance and worn appropriately. Coats are not allowed to be worn in the building during school hours.
If students are not in uniform compliance, students will be required to call home. Parent/guardian is expected to bring the appropriate clothing to school before students will be allowed to enter classrooms. If parent/guardian contact cannot be made, students will be held accountable and required to change into loaner clothing prior to entering classrooms. Non-Compliance Form will be sent home with student, parent signature will be required and form will be returned the following day.
ACCEPTABLE CLOTHING AND ACCESSORIES:
Colors: Uniform colors only. ONLY short- or long-sleeved collared Shirts, Polo’s.
All shirts may be no shorter than waist length or longer than back pocket. Southern Heights T-shirts are allowed.
Cardigan sweaters and sweater vests are allowed. Southern Heights Sweatshirts are allowed.
PANTS, SHORTS, CAPRI'S
Colors: Solid Navy or Khaki only. Pants are to be worn at the waist; pants must be correct size, no sagging, not form-fitting and no more than one size larger than waist. Khaki/Navy Shorts are allowed. Pants must be hemmed, no frayed or torn items.
Color: Solid Navy or Khaki. Length: skorts/jumpers must not be shorter than finger tip length (arms extended at the sides). Must be worn at waist. Must be hemmed, no frayed or torn items.
Solid Color. Must be worn through belt loops and may not hang down.
Any type and color of socks. Girl’s tights and leggings must be solid uniform colors.
No hats…etc. Exceptions will be made for religious reasons.
Optional, must be uniform colors and stripes are okay.
UNACCEPTABLE CLOTHING AND ACCESSORIES:
- No Denim! Of any color or denim-looking material.
- No tight, “low-cut”, transparent, or revealing clothing.
- No clothing that reveals bare torso or undergarments when student bends over or raises arms.
- No oversized, baggy, sagging clothes.
- No pants dragging on floor or overly bunched around ankles.
- No pants, sweatpants, or shorts of athletic material.
- No Cargo Pants.
- No logos, writing adornments, accessories, stripes, or decorative stitching on clothing.
- No, pants, skorts, and skirts worn lower than the top of the hipbone.
- No stretch pants, overalls, sweatpants, stirrup, spandex, nylon workout pants, or flannel pants.
- Shirts are not to be worn inside-out.
- No hats, bandanas, sweatbands, caps, scarves. Exceptions will be made for religious reasons.
- No hats, gloves, or scarves are to be worn in the classroom or building during the school day.
- Coats and hats are not allowed to be worn in the building or in classrooms.
- No logos, printing, or insignias on belts or belt buckles.
- No spikes, chain loops, or hanging wallet chain.
- No open-toed shoes, flip flops, soccer sandals, slippers, house shoes, high heels, or Heelys (Skate shoes).