Welcome to the SOUTHERN HEIGHTS LIBRARY
Each week when students attend library they are given time to search for and check-out books. Students are encouraged to use the library any time they need to and may return and check-out at any point during the week.
|Group||Borrowing Limit||Borrowing Period|
|Kindergarten||In kindergarten we work up to borrowing 3 books||10 school days|
|Grades 1-6||3 books, plus any books needed for class||10 school days|
Each year students are taught how to take proper care of all library materials. Please help your student by finding a safe place to keep their library materials at home (a shelf, a basket, in their backpack, etc.). All library materials should also be kept away from food, drinks, and pets. Accidents do happen; however, any lost or damaged books must be paid for. Thank you for your help in this matter. Let's keep the Southern Heights library filled with great books!
Remember these guidelines when reading a book:
- Read with clean hands.
- Use a bookmark to mark your place.
- Keep food and drinks away from you books.
- Keep books in a safe place and away from pets.
- Keep all pencils, crayons, and pens away from your books.
- Put books in your backpack to return them to school promptly.
If your book gets damaged (a torn page), bring it to Mrs. Ferry to fix. Please don't try and fix it at home.
If a book is lost or damaged, it must be paid for. The replacement cost of the book is quoted on the overdue notice. (School District Board Policy #3520 states in part "A student shall be responsible for the cost of replacing materials or property in the student's care, custody or control, which are lost or damaged due to student negligence.").
Please pay the fine with exact cash or check made out to Southern Heights Elementary, and send the payment to school in an envelope marked "Library." The payment is refundable if a lost book is found and returned during the current school year.
Students who owe money to the library risk losing the privilege of borrowing more materials and will not receive their final report card until the fine is paid.
World Book Encyclopedia
King County Library System
All Highline students have digital KCLS accounts. Through KCLS you are able to access online materials (books, magazines, videos, and databases). If the book you are waiting for is not available you may place a hold and be notified when it becomes available.
- Go to www.kcls.org/students
- Once you land on the student page, DO NOT login yet.
- Choose elementary school students
- Choose one of the links in the center of the screen to explore
- Log-in from your chosen page using your student number. (Note: All library card numbers for Highline School District students begin with 401, and are followed by your student number. Your password is the last 4 digits of your student number.)
library card number: 4019811640
Search the Southern Heights Online Library Catalog. You can look for great reading material anywhere you have an internet connection. Where will your next book take you?
Southern Heights Library Catalog